May

How To: Renew your passport

Posted by kenchill. Categories How-to

So, I am going to Bali in August and my passport is expiring in October, bad bad. The passport needs to be valid for more than 6 months from the embarkation date.

At first, they came out with this express service which only takes 3 days to prepare your renewed passport. And then later, it became 1 day. And now I heard it only takes 3 hours, granted you send in your application 3 hours before the 5:30pm closing time.

CHECKLIST

Before you grab your passport and head to Pusat Bandar Damansara, here’s a couple of things you should bring.
1. Current passport
2. RM300 (or RM600 for a 64-page passport, still 5-years validity period though) (RM50 or RM100 notes)
3. MyKad
4. Your thumb (to authenticate yourself against the MyKad)
5. 1 photocopy of your MyKad (back and front)
6. 1 passport sized photograph (of course they want a recent photo)
7. Something (PSP, iPod, magazine, laptop) to pass your time (2 hours at least)

But fret not, if you don’t have items #5 and #6, you can easily photocopy your MyKad and have a passport sized photograph taken there on the spot. Even if you got items #5 and #6, the shop touts will ask you if you want a photograph or not. Smart.

Office hours, if I am not mistaken are from 9am – 5:30pm WEEKDAYS (of course). If you want to get it done on the same day, try reaching there at around 1pm. That way, you can drop your passport into the kiosk, have lunch, get to Bangsar Shopping Complex, and come back again to collect your completed passport, and then go home BEFORE rush hour starts.

Checklist completed, now head to Pusat Bandar Damansara, you guys should know where it is located. Head into the parking area, find Block I and park in the basement. You need make your way to P4 or P5 because that’s where the visitor’s parking is located. Anywhere above P4, the parking bays are all reserved, so don’t bother looking.

Parking rates (6am – 6pm):
1st hour: RM2.50
Consequent hours: RM1.20

KIPPAS

The first place you want to visit is the KIPPAS (Kios Pembaharuan Pasport) room. Just make sure you got everything in the checklist ready (if you did not photocopy or have a photo, have it done first). It’s located on Level 1 (or Ground floor, but for Pusat Bandar Damansara, it starts with 1, no Ground floor). It’s just beside the main road, close to the ramp to the Block I car park.

Once you enter the KIPPAS room, grab a small envelope from one of the tables there. You can put your photo and the MyKad photocopy inside. Do write your details on the front of the envelope but please DO NOT seal it yet. If you look around, you can see a height measure, so go and measure your height as you need to enter it into the kiosk later. The kiosk is very very easy to use, do not be afraid.

The first thing you do when you use the kiosk is to place your passport and MyKad into the related slots. Just follow the on screen instructions and after you manage to verify and authenticate your thumb prints, you then need to pay up. Just insert your notes one by one into the machine. You can now place your passport into the envelope and seal it up. After you pay the full amount, you can then dump the envelope into the machine and collect the receipt.

Time to have lunch or spend your 2 hours doing something. Maybe you can walk around HELP Institute and check out the courses they offer or even discuss with a counselor there. Or better still, just drive to Bangsar Shopping Center and check out York Shop.

After 2 hours

Now, get back to Block I and head back to the KIPPAS room but do not enter it. You have to enter the building via the main entrance (which is flanked by photocopy shops on both sides) and take the escalator to Level 2. Head to counter 16 and pass them your receipt. That time I went, they did not give me any number coupon, they just told me to wait in front of the counter and they will call out names. So yeah, just wait for your name to be called. If you wait more than an hour, just reconfirm with them and hope it all goes well. You can purchase a passport cover from the counter and it costs RM2.00.

That’s all!! Quickly head home before rush hour starts!!

39 Responses to “How To: Renew your passport”

1. Fiona - May 28, 2008 / 4:42 am

You are such a life saver! Thank you for this post

2. colderthan - June 12, 2008 / 10:34 am

I went to renew my passport recently and this was really helpful! But to pick up my passport I did have to get a number…

3. Melvin - June 26, 2008 / 3:24 pm

CORRECTION:
    -Bring 2 PHOTOS, not one. I brought only 1 and asked to pay RM8 to snap new ones.

4. sin - July 9, 2008 / 4:42 pm

Thanks for sharing the info as it helped alot!
    My office is nearby Pusat Bandar Damansara so around 11:40 AM i dropped by to scan documents and made payment in KIPPAS room (took 5-10 minutes). The receipt printed out showed the time for collection. Thus I went back to office to join my colleages for lunch. After lunch I reached Pusat Bandar Damansara again around 3 PM and took number at Aras 2 (Counter 16). There were less than 10 people before me but it took less than 10 minutes to collect my passport :)

5. xin - August 12, 2008 / 5:04 pm

damn im going thailand this sun and my passport is expiring in dec. would like to check with u, wat time the kiosk opens? at 9 also?

6. Sloppy Chic » Immigration Operation Time and What Do You Need to Renew Your Passport - August 15, 2008 / 10:11 am

[...] to Life in Kl, I had my things ready before I went to the [...]

7. Aly - September 25, 2008 / 9:49 am

thanks for the info! I’m going today so let’s hope it all goes smoothly for me. :)

8. Yeng - October 9, 2008 / 11:44 pm

Thanks so much for your info, I remember last time I had to wake up early to fight for a number!!

9. Joanna - November 7, 2008 / 2:20 pm

Dude! Thanks so much for the information. I was googling stuff and yours was the most informative and helpful one. Will be bringing my Nintendo DS.

10. chua - November 17, 2008 / 9:04 pm

Thanks for the info … good job!

11. Andrew - February 2, 2009 / 5:27 pm

The same service is also available at PKNS Complex, at the central of Shah Alam.

Any application complete through the kiosk before 5pm, will get the passport on the same day, after approximately 2 hours.

After 5pm, the passport will be ready on the next working day.

12. Andrew - February 2, 2009 / 5:31 pm

Parking is easily available, both legal and illegal.

Legal parking is RM1 per hour.

Illegal parking is free if not caught, RM360 if caught by tow-truck, RM60 if caught by council officer.

13. Jas - February 16, 2009 / 9:48 am

Thanks for the info, very very helful. Additional info: Kiosk only is open till 3.30 pm Mon-Fri, when I went, KIPPAS was clossed for some technical work. And the form, if downloaded, MUST be on one page, front and back.

14. Sumuk - February 25, 2009 / 2:15 pm

Thank you for the posting. The other reader’s comments also helpful.

15. Charlene - March 2, 2009 / 1:40 pm

I googled this up. Thanks for the help! But I’m wondering, do I have to personally collect my passport or someone else can do so?

16. kenchill - March 4, 2009 / 12:07 am

Hmm, I don’t think its possible as you need to ‘chop’ your fingerprint on the passport.

17. adeline - April 26, 2009 / 5:54 pm

thx for the information! hmmm..wanna ask if sabahan wanna renew passport,izit still using the same way to renew it in the KIPPAS room???! and need to wait almost 5 hrs???

18. Alex - June 17, 2009 / 7:04 pm

Will they give u back ur old passport? I still have my UK visa on it

19. kenchill - June 18, 2009 / 2:42 pm

Yes they will. They will cut a piece off from the front cover of your old passport and hand it back to you.

20. Celine - June 19, 2009 / 9:56 pm

will open during weekend or not?
    what’s the operation time? half day?

21. Felini - July 31, 2009 / 8:48 pm

does anybody know what is the process for renewing a non-chip passport. I’ve been away from malaysia for a while so the passport that i renewed previously at the embassy was the non-chip version, but i’m planning to renew it again to the chip-version when i’m next in malaysia.

22. Jin-Ni - May 21, 2010 / 3:05 pm

awesomeeeeeeee. the pictures helped a lot.
    i was pretty worried about getting there.
    First time driving to that place.
    But seeing those signs help a lot, really =D

I’m goina put up this link in my blog with some additional info, if you dont mind =)

23. Peter - May 26, 2010 / 3:09 pm

what if my passport expire already? if expired can i still use the KIPPAS to renew and get a new passport?

thanks in advance!

24. Anu - June 21, 2010 / 11:43 pm

Is KIPPAS available only in KL?..is it available elsewhere in Malaysia?

25. kenchill - June 23, 2010 / 3:17 pm

Peter: I have no idea about that!

26. SIM - September 13, 2010 / 2:14 pm

I just renew my passport at Pusat Bandar Damansara.

Somethings that i want to add and to be aware :

Make sure your IC can be read by the scanner.
    Bring extra money – sometime the machine has difficulty to accept your cash, so you have other pieces to change.

Lastly, make sure your thumb can be scan as well.

Good luck.
    SIM

27. Jane - October 12, 2010 / 5:50 pm

Well written, mate. Keep the good work going!

28. didi gorjes - October 14, 2010 / 11:15 am

i love you muah muah!!!
    thx a lot for the brilliant info and, threads too!! two passport photos okay…..! LOL

29. didi gorjes - October 14, 2010 / 11:16 am

and it’s only rm100 for 2 yrs validation tho! hail immigration!!! i loike!!

30. alvina - November 10, 2010 / 12:04 am

Open business hour saturday? closed sat?

31. kenchill - November 18, 2010 / 12:17 am

Oh, I didn’t check that. Might be following the standard government working hours.

32. sing yee - December 3, 2010 / 7:37 pm

haiya…… I was not lucky, I went to KIPPAS but it was ‘TUTUP’, I don’t know why. I saw the operation hour is till 3.00 p.m. No chance to use it. Then I proceeded to upstair to get a number, my number was 1362 and by that time the running number = 1284. I waited about 1.30 hour to submit the form & made the payment but couldn’t collect it today. I have to go again tmr morning, sigh!

33. Felix Gregory - December 14, 2010 / 12:55 pm

Hi, The requirements for renewal of Malaysian passports you stated is incomplete. In Seremban, for example, if you are underaged 21 years and below, even if accompanied with your parents, you are required to bring along your original birth cert. NO negotiations… If you have to drive to and fro from home 84 kilometers .. you just have to do that. I wonder value of our Malaysian identity card ? ..and thumb print !!!!!

34. HC - January 31, 2011 / 12:57 pm

Thanks Kenchill for taking the considerable trouble to post this very clearly written guide. A little extra info on some of the questions posed:

1. it is open on a Saturday as well as Sunday morning; this however conflicts with the information posted at the entrance but this may simply be out of date (as there are two sets of information which conflict with each other regarding opening times)
    2. one can renew an already expired passport as mine was, albeit only by a few days (needs however to be a chipped passport because the machine needs to be able to read it)
    3. on the day I went, the turnaround time was only an hour; one presents the receipt issued by the machine to counter 17 on the floor above. You do not have to obtain a queueing slip but just walk straight up to the counter with your receipt; the person issues you with a queueing slip (I waited approx 15 mins on a Mon morning).
    Good luck!

35. sriyany - March 15, 2011 / 11:46 am

Hey, I couldn’t help but notice that on the Malaysia Immigration website, it states RM100 for 2 yrs. Does this mean the kiosk have an option for this?

36. Nazza - July 14, 2011 / 9:53 pm

Wah..great information..really hope all KIPPAS open on Saturday..especially at Wangsa Maju..but if I have to Pusat Bandar Damansara, it shud b ok also :-)

TQ Alls!!!

37. NingC - August 27, 2011 / 9:20 pm

God I seriously Love you, man!
    I am 15 years old, going to renew my passport ALONE on monday.
    Lucky i found this page. Helped alot

38. Janet - November 18, 2011 / 5:10 pm

Thank you for the organised details – to update you – the branch has now moved to Hartamas, since October, details here:

The new address is:

i) Alamat : Kompleks Kementerian Dalam Negeri (KDN)
    No.69,Jalan Sri Hartamas 1
    50480 Jalan Duta,Kuala Lumpur

ii) No.Telefon : 03-62012423/ Fax : 03-62011191 (BARU)

I just went to renew my passport today there, it was quite fast and painless.

39. Rouzbeh - February 26, 2013 / 1:56 am

Tomorrow 8.30 i have to be there, give me the nearest LRT station ,
    how can i reach there from bukit jalil lrt.

LEVEL 1, Komplek kem. dalam negeri no.69, jalan seri hartamas 1